Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The Ninilchic Blahs

Today we drove a short distance to the little town of Ninilchic-it's about halfway down the Sterling Highway on the way to Homer. I had planned for us to spend time on the Kenai Peninsula north, mid and south. Well, first we missed the turn off for the campground and had to travel 20 miles further south, due to road construction, before we could turn around! Second, we feel like we should have just kept on going to Homer after we got back to set up camp...here's why. I PICKED THE WRONG CAMPGROUND!!!

I read descriptions of campgrounds from other blogs and knew we wanted Deep Creek-right on the beach with Eagles to watch and the waves rolling in. Where we ended up was Deep Creek View with NO VIEW! It's on a bluff looking out at the Alaska Range but the view is obscured from all but one campsite. It's not a well kept campground either, so I would not recommend it. But our friends did not miss the turn off and were all set up by the time we got here. So we will make the best of two days.

There's a little Russian Orthodox Church and cemetery (pictured) plus great views of the volcanic mountains of the Alaska Range- Mt. Iliama and Mt. Redoubt-both pictured.

We drove down to the fishing charter launch site and watched them pull a boat out-also pictured.

This campground is also associated with a fishing charter so we watched them display today's catch of halibut. I encouraged Bob to schedule a trip tomorrow, but he decided he'd better keep me company and go out of Homer where I will have access to more activities. Smart man-I probably would go nuts sitting here all day!!!

My bundled up picture is from this morning prior to leaving Kenai. We awoke at 4:30 am to high winds! The camper was a rockin! 58 degrees and wind felt pretty chilly so I layered up. Mr. Redoubt is in the background peaking through the clouds.






H

No comments:

Post a Comment